5 Tips for Light Fixture Shopping
Whether you are coming into one of Lighting Design's beautiful, three locations or just shopping online, these tips are for you! Getting new light fixtures can be wonderful, as lighting alone can update and change the look of your home. However, it can also be stressful; especially if you “don’t know what you don’t know.” Here are our top five tips and tricks that can not only save you time but can also save you money.
1. Know Your Measurements. This is probably THE most important factor when choosing lighting fixtures (besides choosing the fixtures themselves). If you get a fixture that is entirely too large or too small for your space it is going to look weird. Below is a list of things you will want to know the measurements of:
- Ceiling Heights
- Table length (kitchen table, patio table, etc. Wherever the light is going)
- Island length (kitchen)
- Vanity (typically bathroom vanity)
- Room Size (used when shopping for fans)
2. Budget Your Time. Make sure you allow yourself the appropriate amount of time to get all the perfect fixtures you want. What you are trying to light directly affects the amount of time you will spend in our showroom or online. Below are our recommendations on time:
- Full House: 3-6 hours for homes 2,500 sq. ft. or less, 8 hours for large homes (can take multiple visits too)
- One Room: approx. 1 hour
- Exterior Lights Only: approx. 1 hour, sometimes longer online.
3. Budget Your Money. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is really helpful for our staff so they can work with you! Fixtures can be expensive and we truly appreciate you letting Lighting Design be the company to help you in this endeavor. Set your budget beforehand. This way, our wonderful Lighting Specialists will be able to help you choose light fixtures within your budget. They are pretty good at fitting fixtures into budgets, while still keeping the end-result in mind.
4. Figure Out What You Like. Many people have seen a picture of a home or room that inspires them (thank you Pinterest). It is not a bad idea to bring Pinterest, or similar, pictures to show your specialist what you like. If you’re not sure, here are a few styles to keep in mind: mid-century modern, Scandinavian, modern farmhouse and traditional. Keep in mind, these are just a few styles--you can always use Google, Pinterest or Houzz to find more. We also recommend giving our Pinterest a follow, we pin inspiring pictures ALL the time which show products Lighting Design sells!
5. Leave the Kids at Home. Last, but certainly not least is this. And we know leaving the kids at home can be difficult, so don’t get it twisted. We love kids! Most of us at Lighting Design are parents ourselves. That being said when (and if) it is possible, try to leave your kids at home. If it is not a possibility, no worries! We will still give you the best service; sometimes it’s just harder for our clients to choose fixtures with their kids around. If you do need to bring your kids, we recommend bringing snacks and/or activities to help them stay happy.
Sans kids can apply to online shopping too. Take some time, by yourself (or with whomever else is involved in the decision), to sit and browse our many online options. And don’t forget if you have any questions, you can always call us or email us (email@example.com). We love our customers and are always willing to help!
Hopefully, this helped you understand some ways you can come prepared to shop! And don't worry, our Lighting Specialists are very knowledgeable and can help you with any questions you may have.